Green Lake Library
Photo Courtesy MOHAI, PEMCO Webster & Stevens Collection
Few things look the same around Green Lake as they did in 1910 — except the Green Lake Library.
The 8,000+ square-foot branch opened in 1910 and is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
According to the Seattle Public Library, Green Lake library service began in 1905 in a small, one-room structure on the eastern side of the lake. Specifically, according to The Green Lake branch’s website:
“The structure was built on a wooden platform. A board sidewalk led from the street and the streetcar tracks to the library. In rainy weather, the tiny building was surrounded by mud and water and young boys begged the librarian for twine so they could fish over the railing.
In 1908, wealthy philanthropist Andrew Carnegie agreed to donate $35,000 to build a replacement branch. Local residents rallied to the cause and raised $3,000 to buy the current branch site; the city contributed another $1,000.”
In July 1910 the Green Lake branch opened with tall ceilings and much more space for patrons to peruse the books.
Since then the building has been remodeled several times, with its most recent remodel in 2004.