PCC Green Lake Village Opens June 4
The new PCC Natural Markets at Green Lake Village is scheduled to open this Wednesday, June 4. The 27,000 square foot store is nearly twice as big as the current store on Aurora Ave. N. But with PCC’s second Green Lake store opening, there are several questions on Greenlakers’ minds.
Here’s five things you should know about the store:
1. Is Green Lake big enough to have two natural grocery stores?
According to PCC, the answer is yes. The Green Lake Aurora PCC will remain open.
Diana Chapman, PCC’s Director of Sustainability says that PCC did a customer location survey two years ago that supports the addition of the second store.
“We anticipate that not only will the new Greenlake Village PCC alleviate crowding at the current store, it will attract new customers east of Aurora Ave. N.,” Chapman said.
2. How is the PCC Green Lake Village store different from the current store on Aurora Ave?
The Green Lake Village store (although full service) is designed with the park in mind. A large portion of the store is geared around takeout options with a grab n’ go section, salad bar, pizza counter, smoothie and espresso area and cheese counter. You will likely see a lot of PCC picnickers this summer.
But it’s not just for the park. The store also features:
- A meat department that can accommodate special cuts
- Expansive wine and beer department
- Massive bulk bin area
- Seating inside and out
- A large cooking and demonstration room with cooking classes starting June 20
- And, of course, fresh, local produce
3. What about parking?
In addition to street parking, (which can be a little hard to find) the store will have 100 spaces that will be free for customers for up to 90 minutes (validated with in-store purchase) in an underground lot. Bike parking is also available in front of the store.
4. How many people are going to be employed by PCC (and where are they parking)?
The Green Lake Village PCC will employ 130 people. According to Chapman, many of the employees live close by or are encouraged to bike or receive Orca card stipends to encourage mass transit.
5. Where is the store and what are the hours?
The store is located at 450 NE 71 St in the Green Lake Village complex and will be open 6 a.m. to midnight, 7 days a week.